Name of the Project:
Validating a Spanish translation of the Incremental Shuttle Walk Test (ISWT).
- To produce an accurate Spanish translation of the ISWT instructions using a validated translation method.
- To test the validity of the translated version of the ISWT instructions and compare the exercise performances across both languages.
Brief description of the task(s):
The ISWT is used in the UK for research purposes and in clinical practice to prescribe exercise in pulmonary rehabilitation programmes, however the standardised instructions for ISWT have not yet been translated into the Spanish language. In order to use the ISWT as a measure of exercise capacity, we need to validate the translated version to ensure performance is similar between native English and Spanish speaking people.
The ISWT is a physical activity test, and as with any type of exercise testing, a normal increase in heart rate, respiratory rate, sweating and fatigue is anticipated.
- Participants that understand English and Spanish.
- Aged between 25 to 40 years old.
- All participants with orthopaedic, neurological or cardiorespiratory disease.
UCL Ethics Project ID Number: 8169/001.
Risk Assessment Reference: RA006897/1
Iyari Romano Barragan
Faculty: Institute of Child Health